Marine and coastal
Maritime civil engineering is an extremely broad but specialised discipline within civil engineering. The coast is a highly complex and sensitive environment that is in a constant state of change. Wave, current and even tidal conditions can vary widely along short lengths of coastline and this means that substantial effort is required to define parameters for the design of coastal structures, coastal defences, ports and marinas. Maritime civil engineering encompasses wave and ocean sciences, geomorphology, geology, engineering design and a spectrum of other analytical skills.
Edenvale Young can provide the following services:
- Analysis of waves, currents, tides and storm surge.
- Analysis of wave refraction, diffraction shoaling, breaking and overtopping.
- Analysis of beach morphology, littoral drift, accretion, erosion and scour
- Assessment of opportunities for improvement and enhancement of the environment
- Economic evaluation of coastal flood damages and the economic benefits of protection from tidal inundation.
- Design and preparation of civil engineering contract documents including soft and hard engineering solutions such as rock armour, breakwaters, revetments and rip-rap protection.
- Shoreline master planning and landform planning for marinas, harbours, tidal lagoons, reclamation, beach design, nourishment and maintenance.
- Water quality modelling