NCE100 Design Innovator Award 2018
In June 2018 Edenvale Young won the NCE100 design innovator award which is arguably one of the most prestigious awards in Civil Engineering in the UK. Edenvale Young were nominated in two categories: Design Innovator Award and the Trending 20 Award for SMEs or the "ones to watch" award.
Edenvale Young won the award for our innovative approach in hydraulic modelling, particularly the development of 2D catchment scale modelling for a range of projects including: Sri Lanka for the Climate Resilience Impact Programme for the World Bank; modelling natural flood risk management in Trawden for the Environment Agency and Cottingham and Orchard Park Flood Alleviation Scheme.
The judges commented:
“They have taken off the shelf software applied their passion and inventive skills, then given it out for industry use. With low cost they can make a huge impact and can save lives in countries where it is needed most. 30% of their income is eligible for R &! D tax credit which confirms their innovative approach.”
Institution of Civil Engineers Awards for 2016
In 2016, Edenvale Young was given two prestigious awards for work in flood alleviation, geomorphology, hydraulic modelling and detailed design. These were:
- Rhiwbina Flood Alleviation Scheme in Cardiff was given the ICE (Wales) Roy Edwards Award.
- The Pont Briwet Bridge Transport Improvement Project was given the ICE (Wales) George Gibby Special Award for Innovation
This included removal of channel constrictions, installation of river restoration measures, defence improvements and attenuation features. The Rhiwbina Flood Alleviation Scheme the judges commented on the sensitive environmental considerations associate with the use of soft engineering. Construction was completed in 2015.
For the Pont Briwet scheme Edenvale Young undertook a wide range of services associated with the replacement of a 120m timber bridge over the Dwryrd Estuary in North Wales. The scope of works included:
- Hydraulic modelling to assess flood risk and geomorphological change using TUFLOW FV in the temporary and permanent works condition;
- Geomorphological and water quality monitoring during construction;
- Design of scour protection under the bridge and the design of rock armour for the approach embankments.